Staff ML Engineer (Perception / Data)
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Staff ML Engineer, you will lead the technical execution of our data and ML pipelines with an overall focus into improving the overall end to end perception pipeline (labeling, training and deployment).
This is a hands-on role, so you will be responsible for implementing things yourself, while also acting as a tech lead for the ML and Data engineering teams.
- Be an architect for our overall perception pipeline (training, testing, monitoring and labeling)
- Explore, prototype and validate new algorithms/solutions
- Be a mentor for other team members within the ML and Data teams
- Champion highest quality of engineering excellence
- Be able to move from research to productize ML models (fast iteration)
- Negotiate initiatives and deliverables with stakeholders
- Have deep understanding of the business and operational impact for different technology tradeoffs
- Capable of influencing and building consensus in technical debates
- BS, MS, or higher degree, in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent industry experience
- Extensive experience with ML frameworks such as Tensorflow, Caffe, and PyTorch
- Strong programming skills in Python and C++
- Growing expertise with state-of-the-art perception related ML models
- Excellent mathematical reasoning skills, especially with probability
- 8+ years of experience in computer vision and machine learning
- Expertise in setting architectures that are scalable, fault-tolerant and extensible for changes.
- Ability to design across multiple systems
- Ability to wear several hats between coding, technical strategy, mentorship etc.
- Proven record of productizing computer vision models
Strongly Preferred Qualifications
- PhD in computer science or machine learning
- Experience with MCAP, OpenCV
- Experience with CUDA
- Real-world experience applying machine learning techniques in autonomous systems such as robots, cars, and UAV
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits with 100% of premiums covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after two years) in addition to 11 national holidays and unlimited paid sick days
- Professional development reimbursement or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location and years of experience, the target annual salary for this position can range from $160,000 to $220,000 + target bonus + benefits (including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), and flight training).
* Note that Acubed does not offer sponsorship of employment-based nonimmigrant visa petitions for this role.