Senior Systems Engineer
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Senior Systems Engineer, you will be part of the systems team and work in close collaboration with Wayfinder's machine learning, software and perception experts, to guide and support the design, development, deployment and integration of our AI-based vision technology into a range of Airbus applications with a strong emphasis on commercial aircraft applications. You will use your industry experience in deploying safety critical systems to push the maturation of our technology for introduction into service. You will be responsible for maturing the operational objectives and the systems requirements of the autonomous aircraft functions, and for guiding the development and integration of our technical solutions with our team in Silicon Valley and in Europe.
- Drive and own the definition and the system requirements of autonomous vision functions
- Guide the design, development and integration of our internal technical solutions into Airbus’ commercial flight applications
- Define, plan and coordinate development, integration and testing activities of our technical solutions within the team in Silicon Valley and with our collaborators at Airbus in Europe
- Provide deep technical analysis at the concept of operation level and at the system level, including tradeoff analysis of different computer vision and other sensor-based technologies to meet the targeted performance for the autonomy functions
- Have the agility to drive feasibility studies, requirements derivation and performance analyses as a technical team lead as well as an individual contributor
- Provide leadership on safety critical system design and best practices in order to facilitate the integration of our solutions into aircraft
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering, computer engineering, aerospace, electrical engineering or a related discipline
- 5+ years of work experience on safety critical software and systems
- 3+ years of experience as technical lead or cross-functional team lead
- A flexible, pragmatic attitude to contribute across various efforts as needed
- Personal drive and intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with the experience to overcome challenges
- Excellent communication skills (strong coordination and relational skills to collaborate with customers, various internal and external stakeholders and partners)
- Documented proof of fully vaccinated status required (or qualify for an exemption)
Strongly Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in architecting and developing navigation or surveillance systems for aviation and/or autonomous vehicles
- Experience in perception or decision making systems for autonomous vehicles
- Experience with computer vision systems
- Experience in developing certified aerospace systems and software
- Experience in machine learning algorithms
- Experience with aircraft navigation, communication and surveillance systems
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% of premiums covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after two years) in addition to 11 national holidays and unlimited paid sick days
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1