Senior Software Engineer (Data/ML)
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
The Wayfinder team is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Senior Software Engineer for the data team, you will be responsible for the design, implementation and continued optimization of scalable data pipelines and software products to support Wayfinder's data-driven development process in our overall goal of achieving vision-based autonomy functions. This entails:
- Creation of auto-labeling software and working with the data engineering team to include it in our data pipelines
- Aggregating and storing tens of petabytes of data from a wide range of sources
- Enabling worldwide data collection and aggregation at scale
- Developing tools to get insights from, and enable other teams at Airbus to visualize our data
- Tailor the solution to scale and automate a data-driven development process to fuel vision-based machine learning algorithms (e.g., autonomous taxi, takeoff and landing) for autonomy functions
You will be responsible for designing, prototyping and demonstrating the feasibility and scalability of a hybrid cloud and on-premise infrastructure by implementing and running a pilot version at Acubed. The pilot version will provide guidance and expertise to the global Airbus organization in Europe and serve the operational needs of the Wayfinder team. You will also be in charge of working with various Airbus groups in the US and Europe to evaluate the applicability of existing solutions and technologies, and to plan and execute on the expansion of the infrastructure solution.
- Proactively define and deliver new design ideas, and prototype and productize software and data pipelines that will support our autonomous mission
- Productize tools that will allow the team to:
- Auto-label our data sets, minimizing data pipeline time
- Automatically validate manual and other labels
- Visualize, find or make sense of our data
- Develop ML and other statistical models to analyze and get insights from our datasets automatically
- Selecting and employing advanced statistical procedures to obtain actionable insights within our data
- Producing and disseminating non-technical reports that detail the successes and limitations of each project
- Staying informed about developments in Data Science and adjacent fields to ensure that outputs are always relevant
- Bachelor degree in computer science, computer engineering, mathematics or related field.
- 4+ years of professional experience in software development
- 2+ years of experience in applied ML or Computer Vision software development
- Knowledge of database systems (SQL and noSQL) and data pipeline technologies
- Proficient Python programming
- Demonstrated ability to maintain currency with the latest developments in your field
- Personal drive and intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with an appreciation for overcoming challenges
- Excellent communication skills, including strong coordination and relational skills to collaborate with customers, various internal and external stakeholders and partners
- Demonstrated experience building data pipelines for ML models
Strongly Preferred Qualifications
- Real-world experience applying computer vision or ML techniques for auto labeling training data or data science purposes.
- Experience in ML-ops
- Experience working with High-Performance Computing clusters and GPUs
- Software development experience in a production environment
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% of premiums covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after two years) in addition to 11 national holidays and unlimited paid sick days
- Professional development reimbursement or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location and years of experience, the target annual salary for this position can range from $160,000 to $200,000 + target bonus + benefits (including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), and flight training).
* Note that Acubed does not offer sponsorship of employment-based nonimmigrant visa petitions for this role.