Senior Simulation Software Engineer
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power self-piloted aircraft applications throughout Airbus, from small urban air vehicles (aka air taxis) to large commercial airplanes. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry - our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Senior Simulation Software Engineer, you will report to the Head of Simulation at Wayfinder. You will be responsible for Wayfinder's simulation platform for testing and developing the systems used by our autonomous aircraft to perceive the environment. This platform includes photorealistic simulations for training and testing convolutional neural networks, physically representative sensor models for Lidar and Radar sensors, and software- and hardware-in-loop simulations to test our systems before deploying them in the real world. We are a lean, fast-moving team, so we value flexibility and the personal drive to identify and tackle hard problems.
- Design, implement, and ship high quality code for Wayfinder’s simulation platform
- Own the simulation platform and work with other engineers to set requirements and roadmaps for simulation capabilities
- Work with external vendors as needed to procure simulation components
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related discipline
- 5+ years of progressive experience in software engineering
- 2+ years of progressive experience developing simulation software
- Familiarity with relevant sensors, including electro-optical (camera), lidar, radar, GNSS, and IMU/INS
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, well-structured, and well-documented code
- Proficiency in Python and C/C++
- A flexible, pragmatic attitude to contribute across various efforts as needed
Strongly preferred qualifications
- Strong understanding of 3D rendering engines, game engines, physics engines, and raytracers
- Familiarity with fundamental simulation concepts such as interpolation techniques, time discretization methods, and Monte Carlo experiments
- Familiarity with techniques in computer vision, machine learning, or neural networks
- Working understanding of physics and linear algebra
- Working understanding of aviation and aerospace engineering
- Daily lunch and snacks, happy hours; social outings
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (25 days) in addition to 10 national holidays
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym subsidy and more