Senior Simulation Software Engineer
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Senior Simulation Software Engineer, you will report to the Head of Simulation at Wayfinder. You will be responsible for Wayfinder's simulation platform for testing and developing the systems used by our autonomous aircraft to perceive the environment. This platform includes photorealistic renderings and simulations for training and testing convolutional neural networks, and software- and hardware-in-loop simulations to test our systems before deploying them in the real world. We are a lean, fast-moving team, so we value flexibility and the personal drive to identify and tackle hard problems.
- Design, implement, and ship high quality code for Wayfinder’s simulation platform
- Own the synthetic image generation and simulation platform and work with other team members to set requirements and roadmaps for photorealistic rendering and simulation capabilities
- Work with external vendors as needed to procure simulation components
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related discipline
- 5+ years of progressive experience in software engineering
- 2+ years of progressive experience developing computer graphics software
- Strong understanding of 3D computer graphics, photorealistic rendering and game engines
- Experience using Unreal Engine, common workflows and best practices
- Proficiency in C/C++ and Python
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, well-structured, and well-documented code
- A flexible, pragmatic attitude to contribute across various efforts as needed
Strongly preferred qualifications
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine plugin development
- Familiarity with fundamental simulation concepts such as interpolation techniques, time discretization methods, and Monte Carlo experiments
- Familiarity with techniques in computer vision, machine learning, or neural networks
- Working understanding of physics and linear algebra
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after 2 yrs) in addition to 10 national holidays and unlimited sick days
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym membership/subsidy and more