Senior Data Scientist
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As Senior Data Scientist, you will report to the Head of AI Data at Wayfinder. You will be responsible for technical leadership in the topic of data for AI development and validation at Wayfinder in terms of development scoping and implementation. Your role will be to shape the definition of the AI data science roadmap within Wayfinder and evangelize it within other Airbus entities. You will also be responsible for breaking down the vision into concise and realistic work packages, implementing solutions to be used by the Wayfinder team and within Airbus.
- Design and implement the systems needed to support Wayfinder’s data analysis
- Define, implement and maintain a data schema to support autonomous flying functions development
- Design and implement data mining and data filtering to provide high quality data for machine learning (ML) development and testing
- Drive the achievement of data variability for ML development and testing in the context of rigorous verification and validation for future certification purposes
- Drive our data labelling strategy, leveraging automatic labeling techniques developed at Wayfinder, as well as managing external labeling service suppliers
- Master’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, applied mathematics, or a related field
- 6+ years of professional experience in data science challenges applied to AI/ML
- Deep knowledge of data science and ML techniques/algorithms
- Proficient Python programming
- Demonstrated ability to maintain currency with the latest developments in your field
- Personal drive and intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with an appreciation for overcoming challenges
- Excellent communication skills, including strong coordination and relational skills to collaborate with customers, various internal and external stakeholders and partners
Strongly preferred qualifications
- PhD degree in computer science, electrical engineering, applied mathematics or a related field
- Real-world experience applying data science techniques to computer vision and ML in autonomous systems such as robots, cars, and UAVs
- Experience optimizing trained deep learning models for deployment
- Software development experience in a production environment
- Experience in project management: budget, planning, risk mitigation and supplier relationships
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after two years) in addition to 10 national holidays and unlimited paid sick days
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym subsidy/membership and more