Perception Software Engineer
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Perception Software Engineer, you will report directly to the Head of Perception at Wayfinder. On the Wayfinder team, our software engineers hold a wide range of responsibilities, including developing system architectures, moving deep learning methods from prototype to deployment, building sensor interfaces, designing and implementing perception algorithms, and more. You will primarily contribute to the design, implementation and deployment of perception algorithms and systems, although we expect you to be a well-rounded, versatile engineer with the opportunity to work on many different challenges. This is a hands-on role with cross-functional scope between software development and machine learning.
- Design, implement and deploy perception (machine learning, neural network, and computer vision) algorithms
- Design, implement, and ship code for Wayfinder’s core products
- Rapidly develop technical expertise and leadership skills to tackle problems of increasing scope and complexity
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related discipline
- Significant prior experience in software engineering, particularly in developing complex robotics or hardware systems
- Significant experience in ML (specifically convolutional neural networks) and other techniques in computer vision
- Knowledge of sensor fusion and state estimation
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, well-structured and well-documented code
- Proficiency in C/C++ and Python
- A flexible, pragmatic attitude to contribute across various efforts as needed
Strongly preferred qualifications:
- Real-world experience developing production quality or safety-certifiable software for critical physical systems such as aircraft, cars, or robots
- Working understanding of cameras (including IR cameras)
- Working understanding of physics and linear algebra
- Working understanding of aviation and aerospace engineering
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after 2 yrs) in addition to 10 national holidays and unlimited sick days
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym membership/subsidy and more