Perception Engineer Internship (2021)
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power self-piloted aircraft applications throughout Airbus, from small urban air vehicles (aka air taxis) to large commercial airplanes. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry - our team is at the heart of this revolution
This is your chance to build autonomous airplane systems! During this internship you will join our perception team, developing data acquisition and processing pipelines that will be deployed on our aircraft. The internship will be hands-on, allowing you to test the code you will write on a real system.
- Support the development, integration, and testing of sensing software and hardware, including visible spectrum cameras, infrared cameras, INS/GNSS and radars
- Create software and algorithms to manage sensor data acquisition and processing
- Support field testing of our systems, some of which fly on real manned aircraft
- Significant academic background in computer science, electrical engineering, or a related field
- Working proficiency in C/C++ or Python on a Linux-based OS
- Command of software fundamentals (iteration, data structures, object oriented programming, bits and bytes) and best practices
- Knowledge of computer vision algorithms (e.g. OpenCV)
- Real-world experience with autonomous systems (e.g. mobile robots, cars, aircraft) and related sensors (e.g. lidar, radar, cameras, inertial measurement units)
- Intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with a drive to overcome challenges
Nice-to-have experience you might bring:
- Hands on experience working with camera systems
- Familiarity with robotics algorithms, such as localization, sensor fusion, image/signal processing, guidance, navigation, and control
- A passion for making things fly