ML Principal Engineer
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As an ML Principal Engineer, you will report directly to the Director of Engineering of Wayfinder. You will lead the technical execution of a key piece of our project, with focus on Machine Learning. The scope of this role is broad and cross-functional, with a system level perspective.
This is a hands-on role, so you will be responsible for implementing things yourself, as well as guiding the team toward efficient solutions based on your expertise and experience.
- Design and implement significant pieces of Wayfinder’s core products
- Guide ML system/algorithms/software architecture, design, and implementation decisions across Wayfinder based on your technical expertise and experience
- Provide leadership on the team by example: implement good engineering practices and guide others in doing the same
- 5+ years of professional experience on data science problems/applications
- Ph.D degree in computer science or electrical engineering
- Deep knowledge of AI design, training and deployment techniques
- Deep knowledge of machine learning and computer vision, with extensive hands on experience in implementing algorithmic pipelines;
- Knowledge of engineering designs and practices in a production environment;
- Proficient Python programming;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain currency with the latest developments in your field;
- Personal drive and intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with an appreciation for overcoming challenges
- Excellent communication skills (strong coordination and relational skills to collaborate with customers, various internal and external stakeholders and partners).
Strongly preferred qualifications
- 8+ years of professional experience on data science problems/applications;
- Real-world experience applying machine learning techniques in autonomous systems such as robots, cars, and UAVs
- Experience in project management
- Experience in team management
- Proficient C++ and
- Interests and track record of speaking at conferences and writing articles at world class venues (CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, PAMI, IJCV)
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% of premiums covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after two years) in addition to 11 national holidays and unlimited paid sick days
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym subsidy/membership and more