Intern Flight Test - Flight Dispatch/Aviation Management 2023
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
The Wayfinder team is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As an intern Flight Dispatcher, you will report to the Director of Flight Test and Operations. In this role, you will work to manage daily flight test operations in support of software and hardware systems development on a full-scale vehicle platform. You'll help schedule, monitor and report on critical operational test missions conducted across the entire United States. You will manage daily flight activities by scheduling the test aircraft and test aircrew on local and deployed missions. Your focus will be on safety while maximizing operational efficiency. Since our work encompasses many engineering disciplines, you should expect to work closely with our subject matter experts across the team and expand your knowledge as a flight operations generalist.
- Develop and advise on safe operating procedures for our flight test program at local and off-site testing locations
- Knowledge of safety systems to include industry standard Safety Management Systems (SMS)
- Ability to develop and maintain operational risk management tools such as web-based Flight Risk Assessment Tools
- Manage pilot scheduling vendor contract
- Provide flight crew scheduling requirements
- Monitor and grade contract performance
- Develop efficient flight operations schedules
- Assist in planning flight paths to and from deployed locations as well as during test and data collection missions
- Take into account:
- Aircraft performance, enroute winds, weather forecast and current weather conditions when planning missions
- Airspace restrictions and airport conditions
- Aircrew duty and rest schedules
- Provide flight following services and advise pilots if conditions change
- Monitor aircraft status and manage aircraft and test hardware servicing and maintenance requirements
- Work across teams to understand and develop a comprehensive flight operations and test matrix based on multiple program requirements
- Assist in drafting, executing and reporting on flight test operations
- Review automated test reports and identify potential flight operational and data collection issues
- Build and maintain dashboards related to flight operational and cost metrics
- Pursuing or have attained a Bachelor’s degree in Aviation Management and/or airline dispatcher or flight operations officer ratings
- Knowledge of:
- FAA Part 91 general aviation regulations
- Flight following programs such as FlightAware
- Flight planning programs such as Foreflght
- Familiarity with FAA Part 121/135 aviation regulations
- Comfortable with Google Workspace tools (Gmail, Calendar, Meet, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides and Forms)
Strongly preferred qualifications
- Strong desire to learn flight test engineering procedures and techniques
- Working with vendors to monitor and provide flight scheduling guidance
- Knowledge of statistical modeling techniques to report on flight and cost metrics
- Fixed-wing pilot or actively pursuing a student or private pilot’s license
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location the hourly rate for this internship ranges between $25.00-$35.00
* Note that Acubed does not offer sponsorship of employment-based nonimmigrant visa petitions for this role.