Head of SW Platform
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power self-piloted aircraft applications throughout Airbus, from small urban air vehicles (aka air taxis) to large commercial airplanes. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry - our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As Head of Platform, you will report directly to the Director of Engineering of Wayfinder. You will be responsible for technical leadership of the development of the deployed software platform (including software architecture, middleware architecture and devops) at Wayfinder in terms of roadmap definition, development scoping and implementation. At Wayfinder, the software platform is the backbone for AI/ML development and deployment and your contribution will be fundamental to fulfill the Wayfinder mission of flight autonomy. You will be responsible for defining the software platform architecture within Wayfinder and evangelizing it to other Airbus entities, breaking down the vision into concise and realistic work packages, and implementing solutions to be used by teams at Wayfinder and within the larger Airbus.
- Lead the platform team by example: create scalable systems using best practices and ensure your team does the same
- Guide architecture, design, and implementation decisions across Wayfinder from a software platform perspective
- Design, implement and develop the software platform at Wayfinder for AI/ML development and deployment, including distributed software architecture (C++, Python, Docker), middleware (DDS, ROS2), message passing techniques using networking protocols (TCP/IP sockets), cross-language interactions, and sensor drivers
- Manage the design and implementation of DevOps, including unit and integration testing, CI/CD and orchestration (Kubernetes), and software/hardware-in-the-loop testing
- Be the point of contact for the computing infrastructure for AI/ML training at scale
- Guarantee high quality standards across the different teams at Wayfinder contributing to the software stack
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, electrical engineering, applied mathematics, or a related field
- 6+ years of professional experience on software platform development
- 2+ years managing small teams in a dynamic environment
- Deep knowledge of software engineering designs and practices in a production environment
- Proficient at coding in C++ and Python
- Demonstrated ability to maintain currency with the latest developments in your field
- Personal drive and intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with an appreciation for overcoming challenges
- Excellent communication skills (strong coordination and relational skills to collaborate with customers, various internal and external stakeholders and partners)
Strongly preferred qualifications
- Real-world experience developing avionics or deploying hardware and software for autonomy systems (aircraft, UAVs, or other vehicles, etc.)
- Familiarity with embedded systems programming for both x86 and ARM architectures
- Experience in project management (budget, planning, risk mitigation and supplier relationship)
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after 2 yrs) in addition to 10 national holidays and unlimited sick days
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym membership/subsidy and more