Head of Perception
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As Head of Perception, you will be responsible for driving the development of the Wayfinder perception stack, spanning between sensing, classical computer vision and machine learning.
You will be responsible for defining the perception roadmap within Wayfinder and evangelizing it to other Airbus entities; you will be responsible for breaking down the vision into concise and realistic work packages and implementing solutions to be used by teams at Wayfinder and within Airbus.
In this position, you will report directly to the Director of Engineering of Wayfinder and you will manage a team.
- Lead the Perception team: create scalable systems using best practices and ensure your team does the same
- Design and implement a scalable perception stack including:
- Sensors selection and modelling
- Sensors calibration
- Classical computer vision algorithm design and implementation
- Machine learning pipeline design and implementation
- Coordinate with other managers and departments
- Support delivery of Wayfinder perception stack to engineering departments inside Airbus
- Master’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, applied mathematics, or a related field
- 10+ years of professional experience on data science problems applied to Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning (AI/ML)
- 5+ years managing teams in a dynamic environments
- Deep knowledge of perception techniques and algorithms
- Software development experience in a production environment (C++ and Python)
- Experience in project management (budget, schedule, risk mitigation and supplier relationship)
- Demonstrated ability to maintain currency with the latest developments in your field
- Personal drive and intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with an appreciation for overcoming challenges
- Excellent communication skills (strong coordination and relational skills to collaborate with customers, various internal and external stakeholders and partners)
- Documented proof of fully vaccinated status required (or qualify for an exemption)
Strongly Preferred Qualifications
- Ph.D degree in computer science, electrical engineering, applied mathematics or a related field
- Real-world experience applying perception techniques to computer vision and machine learning in autonomous systems such as robots, cars, and UAVs
- Experience optimizing trained deep learning models for deployment
- Experience in project management tools such as Jira
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% of premiums covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after two years) in addition to 11 national holidays and unlimited paid sick days
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym subsidy/membership and more