Flight Test Systems Engineer
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Flight Test Systems Engineer, you will report to the Director of Flight Test and Operations at Wayfinder. In this role, you will work to integrate and test our software and hardware systems on benchtop, surrogate vehicle, and full-scale vehicle platforms. You will help bridge engineering developments with effective flight test objectives. You'll be responsible for the full life cycle of flight test plans in collaboration with many teams across the project including Software, Machine Learning, Simulation and ground test technicians. Since our work encompasses many engineering disciplines, you should expect to work closely with our subject matter experts across the team and expand your knowledge as an engineering generalist. You will also drive our testing activities with an emphasis on safety while maintaining urgency and a bias toward action.
- Safely integrate Wayfinder systems supporting manned test campaigns
- Generate documentation and processes for testing our systems that keep us on schedule while maintaining quality and safety at all times
- Support flight test operations on surrogate and full-scale vehicles
- Lead flight test mission planning and execution activities
- Troubleshoot installed Wayfinder systems during ground and flight testing
- Establish safe operating procedures for our flight test program at local and off-site testing locations
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, aerospace, or electrical engineering, or a related discipline
- 2+ years of progressive experience in engineering including integration of computers and sensors in aerospace vehicles
- Demonstrated knowledge of building, maintaining and executing flight test programs consisting of electrical prototyping of sense and compute systems using optics and software testing of complex machine learning systems.
- Basic knowledge of systems engineering processes and tools
- Comfortable with taking ownership of a flight test program from end to end
Strongly preferred qualifications
- Real-world experience building systems and testing of aircraft subsystems and systems
- Working with vendors in designing and fabricating integrated systems
- Mechanical prototyping experience, including using CAD software, basic machining, and additive manufacturing
- Electrical prototyping experience, including system bringup and debugging, analysis using digital multimeters and oscilloscopes, and basic circuit design and analysis
- Experience with Python or another interpreted programming language
- Familiarity with optical systems to include calibrating and quantifying sensor and transparency performance to ensure desired optical clarity
- Working knowledge of safety systems to include industry standard Safety Management Systems (SMS)
- Fixed-wing pilot or actively pursuing a license
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after 2 yrs) in addition to 10 national holidays and unlimited sick days
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym membership/subsidy and more