Embedded ML Software Engineer
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As Senior Embedded ML Software Engineer, you will report to the Chief Engineer. You will be responsible for driving the development of quality embedded code to port and run Wayfinder's Machine Learning software on AI accelerated target hardware, and interface it with other avionics equipment (e.g., cameras, inertial measurement units, and flight control computers). Target hardware may range from GPUs to FPGA and other AI enabled hardware architectures.
This is a hands-on role which will also require the ability to perform tradeoff studies between different hardware platforms, establish work plans and coordinate the work within an international team.
The capability to embed ML and traditional software and make it run in real-time on safety-rated edge computing units is a unique challenge in the aviation industry. Your contribution will be fundamental to fulfill Wayfinder’s mission of developing cutting-edge autonomous flight systems for Airbus products.
- Deliver high-quality code to port Python based and C/C++ based ML models and conventional computer vision software to a real-time embedded environment
- Hands-on hardware bring-up, system debugging, code optimization, software and hardware in the loop testing
- Conduct system characterization and performance and optimization trade-off studies to assess the determinism and real-time processing capability of a range of hardware architectures including: Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), Neural Processing Unit (NPU), CPU, and Multicore
- Drive vendor discussions and evaluations of third party hardware and software solutions as well
- Own Wayfinder’s embedded software deployment process, coding and documentation standards
- Degree in computer science, electrical engineering, applied mathematics or a related field
- 3+ years of experience in deploying and optimizing embedded ML software on real-time edge computing devices for real-world applications
- Experience working with hardware components, analysis tools and deployment tools (e.g., TensorRT)
- Proficiency coding in C/C++ and Python, with extensive knowledge on hardware specific coding language (e.g., CUDA, VHDL)
- Proficiency in developing software in Linux environments and Real Time Operating Systems
- Fluent in software engineering best practices including software design and maintainability
- Personal drive and intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with an appreciation for overcoming challenges
- Excellent communication skills; strong coordination and relational skills to effectively collaborate with customers, various internal and external stakeholders and partners
- Documented proof of fully vaccinated status required (or qualify for an exemption)
- Experience with ML model export format (e.g., ONNX) and ML development environment (e.g., TensorFlow, Pytorch, torchscript, tf-lite) for deployment on target hardware
- Experience supporting or developing autonomy systems (aircraft, UAVs, or other vehicles)
- Familiarity with avionics equipment and communication protocols
- Familiarity with interfacing camera sensors
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after 2 yrs) in addition to 11 national holidays and unlimited sick days
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
* Note that Acubed does not offer sponsorship of employment-based nonimmigrant visa petitions for this role.