Director of Program Management
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
The Director of Program Management will plan and track the multiple activities and work streams of Wayfinder, identify dependencies, and analyze risks to create adequate contingencies, to ensure timely delivery within budget and scope. This role includes both, strategic planning as well as oversight of execution and tactical decisions. The Director will report to Wayfinder’s Project Executive and will, as a member of the leadership team, play a key role in shaping the continued growth of Wayfinder.
The Director of Program Management will also be responsible for accountable and results-driven outcomes while prioritizing relationships and communicating with both technical leaders and team members. You will partner with engineering leads to lead various project planning and reporting efforts. You will also ensure progress by identifying and driving continuous improvement. Most importantly you will have a strong sense of ownership, strategic reasoning, appreciation for solving complex problems, and know-how to foster strong relationships and build trust across the organization.
- Perform strategic planning as well as oversight of execution and tactical decisions
- Organize the activity of multiple activities and work streams, using latest planning methodologies
- Track progress, identify discrepancies and update teams and managers on progress
- Conduct periodic progress analysis and articulate results, reach conclusions, and provide sound advice to teams and management
- Perform strategic budget and resource planning, compile financial needs, prepare the yearly budget, and review financial forecasting
- Proactively oversee budget and resources as required by unforeseen events; manage and update as needed cost breakdown structures
- Initiate and monitor the status of purchase orders and contracts
- Implement project and program management strategies to enable the continued growth of the Wayfinder teams and scope
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years of professional experience in program management and in scaling teams and organizations with at least 5+ years of experience in project management
- Ability to build an excellent rapport with internal constituents, such as engineers and managers, with a diversity of personalities and styles
- Proven experience managing complex projects and programs to successful completion
- Ability to navigate complex environments and work with interdisciplinary and globally distributed teams, and effectively communicate priorities, delivery expectations, risks and concerns to senior management
- Define and/or improve processes rather than applying what exists today
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing priorities and requirements, including the ability to multi-task and juggle many competing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity
- Ability to use strategic thinking and rational analysis to drive decisions
- Strong appreciation for excellence, responsibility, and ownership on individual and team level
- Excellent verbal and written communication and influencing skills
- Documented proof of fully vaccinated status (or qualify for an exemption)
- Lunch and snacks, happy hours; social outings
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% of premiums covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (25 days) in addition to national holidays
- Tuition reimbursement, professional development & $15,000 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
* Note that Acubed does not offer sponsorship of employment-based nonimmigrant visa petitions for this role.