Director of Infrastructure
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now. At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Director of Infrastructure you will be responsible for the design, implementation and continued optimization of a scalable data driven development infrastructure to aggregate data from a wide range of sources and aircraft, enable worldwide data collection, and make this data available for global efforts across Airbus for development (e.g., parallel HIL/SIL testing and verification/validation activities), tailoring the solution to the need of the Single Pilot Operation (SPO) concept. You will be responsible to prototype and demonstrate the feasibility and effectiveness of this design by implementing and running a pilot version of this infrastructure at Acubed-Wayfinder. This solution will have to support the needs of the Wayfinder's Machine Learning and AI Data teams as well as to provide guidance and expertise to the global Airbus organization in Europe. You will also be in charge of working with various Airbus groups in Europe to plan the expansion of this solution, integrate existing solutions and technology from other groups and divisions (if applicable), and ensure that the solution addresses the need of the development of SPO autonomy functions.
- Lead the infrastructure effort to design, prototype, and expand throughout Airbus a scalable data driven development infrastructure-as-a-service focused on supporting the development and testing of safety critical autonomous flight solutions
- Design and implement the systems needed to aggregate large amount of function-specific data, make this data ready for development and testing, and support verification and validation at scale for the target autonomy functions
- Expand the solution to make data usable by different Airbus development centers in the US and Europe
- Interface with vendors and different stakeholders at Airbus
- Guide architecture, design, and implementation decisions across Airbus from a computing infrastructure perspective with a focus on autonomy for Single Pilot Operations on commercial aircraft
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related discipline
- 10+ years of professional experience in high performance computing or large scale data infrastructure
- 2+ years managing small to large teams in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability to design, build, maintain, and continuously improve computing infrastructure at scale
- Prior experience and expertise in distributed data storage (e.g. GlusterFS, LustreFS, HDFS, NFS)
- Prior experience and expertise in GPU and/or CPU clusters (on-premises and cloud-based)
- Experience with tools for storing and managing large scale data (e.g., ELK/ElasticSearch)
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with infrastructure for machine learning based autonomous vehicle applications, including GPU accelerated computing.
- Real-world experience with infrastructure supporting multi-petabyte datasets
- Experience with tools for working with large scale data (e.g. Hadoop, Splunk, BigTable, Hive, Spark)
- Daily lunch and snacks, happy hours; social outings
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% of premiums covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (25 days) in addition to 12 national holidays
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym subsidy and more