Deep Learning Engineer
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power self-piloted aircraft applications throughout Airbus, from small urban air vehicles (aka air taxis) to large commercial airplanes. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry - our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Deep Learning Engineer, you will report directly to the Director of Engineering of Wayfinder. You will be responsible for the development of vision-based deep learning algorithms that enable autonomous aircraft to analyze, understand, and interact with their environment safely. These perception algorithms are critical to enabling our aircraft to fly without pilots.
- Designing, training, and tuning state-of-the-art vision-based deep learning algorithms to perceive the environment around autonomous aircraft on the ground and in the air;
- Driving the efficient implementation of these algorithms for deployment to onboard computer systems;
- Supporting the data flows that enable the development and testing of deep learning algorithms;
- Communicating methods and results effectively to the rest of our team.
- We expect you to have a master’s degree in computer science, robotics, electrical engineering, applied mathematics, computational neuroscience, or a related field and at least two years of professional experience related to computer vision applications. We also expect you will have:
- Strong knowledge of neural network architectures and computer vision algorithms for scene understanding including object detection, classification, segmentation, depth and motion estimation;
- Experience developing novel deep learning models with TensorFlow, PyTorch, Caffe, or another common framework;
- Expertise in Python, Java, or C++;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain currency with the latest developments in your field;
- Personal drive and intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with an appreciation for overcoming challenges.
Strongly preferred qualifications
- Real-world experience with mobile autonomous systems such as robots, cars, and UAVs;
- Familiarity with sensors including cameras, radar, and lidar;
- Expertise in developing for GPU computation;
- Experience optimizing trained deep learning models for deployment;
- Software development experience in a production environment.
- Daily lunch and snacks, happy hours; social outings
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (25 days) in addition to 10 national holidays
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym subsidy and more