Data Science / Data Engineering Manager
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
Project Wayfinder is building scalable, certifiable autonomy systems to power the next generation of commercial aircraft. Our team of experts is driving the maturation of machine learning and other core technologies for autonomous flight; we are creating a reference architecture that includes hardware, software, and a data-driven development process to allow aircraft to perceive and react to their environment. Autonomous flight is transforming the transportation industry, and our team is at the heart of this revolution.
As a Data engineering manager, you will be responsible for leading the data engineering and data science team in order to create the best full data pipeline that will enable the teams to achieve our automation goals.
As a leader for our data team, you will be responsible for:
- Communicating with stakeholders to gather requirements
- Planning and execution of the quarterly milestones
- Leading a team in charge of creating the data pipeline for the ML team
- Contribute to the code and solutions being developed
- Manage Airbus data ocean and pipelines
- Tailor the solution to scale and automate a data-driven development process to fuel vision-based machine learning algorithms (e.g., autonomous taxi, takeoff and landing) for autonomy functions
- Creation and management of labeling pipelines (auto and manual)
- Handling relationships with 3rd party vendor solutions
- Mentoring and leading a full team of data engineers, data scientists and software developers
You will be responsible for designing, prototyping and demonstrating the feasibility and scalability of a hybrid cloud and on-premise data pipelines The pilot version will provide guidance and expertise to the global Airbus organization in Europe and serve the operational needs of the Wayfinder team.
You will also be in charge of working with various Airbus groups in the US and Europe to evaluate the applicability of existing solutions and technologies, and to plan and execute on the expansion of the data pipeline towards production.
- Lead the design, prototype and expansion of a scalable data pipeline to support the development and testing of autonomous flight functions (e.g., automated taxi, takeoff and landing) across different data centers and Airbus groups in the US and Europe
- Design and prototype new data labeling pipelines
- Perform cloud vs. on-premise balancing to guarantee data availability
- Ensure data quality
- Optimize pipelines and solutions to reduce the time it takes to get data ready from capturing to labeling
- Interface with vendors and different stakeholders at Airbus to establish a global solution
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or a related discipline
- 5+ years of professional experience implementing or managing a data science or data engineering team
- Prior experience implementing data large scale data pipelines
- 2+ years managing small to large teams in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability to design, build, maintain and improve data infrastructure and pipelines
- Prior experience and expertise in distributed data storage (e.g., S3, HDFS, NFS)
- Prior experience and expertise in AWS
- Experience with tools for storing and managing large scale data (e.g., Apache Parquet, Postgresql, ELK, Spark)
- Documented proof of fully vaccinated status required (or qualify for an exemption)
Strongly Preferred Qualifications
- Experience with ML pipelines
- Real-world experience with implementing or supporting ML solutions
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% of premiums covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after two years) in addition to 11 national holidays and unlimited paid sick days
- Tuition reimbursement for professional development or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1