Ontology and Knowledge Engineer
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
The Advanced Digital Design and Manufacturing (ADAM) project seeks to accelerate Airbus’ transition towards digital design and manufacturing. The team is uniquely positioned to identify and innovate on emerging technologies with collaborators in Silicon Valley and across the globe. ADAM provides a platform to drastically reduce aerospace product lead-times and production costs. Through our tool-agnostic framework, we integrate existing and newly developed software solutions. We provide easy-to-use tools to design and automate processes in aerospace manufacturing.
The overall scope of the ADAM Ontology Engineer is to support the design and development, testing and validation of taxonomies and ontologies for aerospace engineering concepts and data. This role reports to the Engineering Automation Technical Lead. The Ontology Engineer will be responsible for organizing and sustaining interactions with subject matter experts in the Airbus Engineering community to rapidly capture the concepts and definitions of the various aspects of the engineering analysis process. You will also be responsible for the organization, versioning and management of the developed ontologies and the integration of these ontologies into engineering automation solutions to support improved documentation and traceability. To succeed in this role, you will have a strong sense of ownership, love for automation and software development, enjoy solving complex problems and possess the know-how to foster strong relationships and build trust within the team and with key stakeholders.
- Capture engineering domain concepts and data formats in ontologies and taxonomies
- Manage developed ontologies and establish methods for versioning ontologies to maintain stability during ontology evolution
- Develop scripts, mappings and toolings for data integration in enterprise knowledge graphs
- Integrate ontologies and taxonomies into engineering automation solutions to provide semantic documentation of processes, concepts and data
- Develop and conduct trainings on semantic technologies and ontology development to empower engineers to own the developed ontologies
- Collaborate with the Airbus engineering community to validate and refine ontologies and taxonomies
- Provide weekly status updates on development progress
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of professional experience in developing OWL ontologies and SKOS taxonomies, leveraging them in enterprise knowledge graph and data classification applications
- Extensive experience using semantic web technology languages: RDF, SPARQL, SHACL as well as Upper Ontologies such as FBO, CCO, etc.
- 2+ years experience in Git and code management platforms such as GitHub or Azure DevOps
- 2+ years experience with Agile development principles and iterative product development
- Significant experience with secure continuous integration and deployment tools such as Jenkins and Artifactory
- Significant experience with Python and/or other scripting languages
- Strong desire to champion the use of ontologies to connect data in the enterprise
- Ability to build an excellent rapport with internal constituents: engineers and technologists with a variety of personalities and styles
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing priorities and requirements, including the ability to multi-task and juggle many competing priorities and deadlines
- High tolerance for ambiguity
- Ability to be extremely detail-oriented and to use analysis to drive decisions
- Proven ability to work in a matrix-style organizational structure to motivate and influence others
- Excellent verbal and written communication and influencing skills
- Strong organizational and team building skills
- Documented proof of fully vaccinated status required (or qualify for an exemption)
- Experience with Graph Database tools such as GraphDB and Stardog
- Experience with OpenRefine
- Experience with knowledge graph visualizations
- A Master’s degree in a technical field (computer science, mathematics, etc.) with 5+ years of related experience
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits with 100% of premiums covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (6 weeks after two years) in addition to 11 national holidays and unlimited paid sick days
- Professional development reimbursement or $15,750 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym subsidy/membership and more
* Note that Acubed does not offer sponsorship of employment-based nonimmigrant visa petitions for this role.