Director of Finance
Founded in 2015, Acubed is the Silicon Valley innovation center of Airbus. As a global leader in aerospace, Airbus aims to make things fly. Our mission is to provide a lens into the future for the industry, transforming risk into opportunity to build the future of flight now.
At Acubed, we strive to propel innovation to market faster, broaden the talent pool in emerging aerospace careers and simultaneously help drive a culture change across Airbus.
The Director of Finance is a senior level position based at Acubed headquarters in Sunnyvale, CA. This role is responsible for all finance functions of the company, reports to the Chief Executive Officer and manages a financial analyst and procurement specialist. This is a hands-on management position with much interaction with our company leaders, and parent company, Airbus. This position plays a key role in supporting the financial health of the company: establishing and refining processes, implementing and updating systems and tools, supporting proposals and helping technical activities navigate the world of finance. Responsibilities also include ensuring internal and external (GAAP) compliance, managing budgets, forecasting and coordination with technical teams. In a nutshell, the Director of Finance oversees the preparation and management of the budget and longer-term planning.
Responsibilities: Executive / Leadership Support, Finance Team, Financial Compliance, ERM & Governance
Executive / Leadership Support:
- Comprehensively plan the growth and development of Acubed global via the
- Annual Operative Planning (AOP) process, ensuring alignment with stakeholders on key assumptions related to budgeting and business plans
- Provide detailed analysis of actual financial results on a monthly basis versus Forecast and AOP targets.
- Drive Acubed’s annual and quarterly budgeting process for the company as a whole
- Develop key financial models and scenarios; plan for cash spends on different activities including company-wide initiatives and technical activities
- Prepare and present Acubed planning and financial performance to relevant parties, including the Acubed leadership team, Finance and Compliance Committee, Airbus Americas, Airbus Research and Technology, etc.
- Support and train project managers in developing and updating budgets and forecasts based on project evolution on a monthly basis
- Adhere to, and be knowledgeable of relevant laws and regulations
- Create company policies that support great financial health in partnership with the teams to enable execution towards key deliverables
- Monitor and improve the monthly financial performance of projects and support functions against annual budgets and quarterly forecasts using our FP&A tool, and communicate accordingly to relevant parties along with recommended changes as necessary including recommendations for cost optimization
- Collaboratively challenge the financial performance of Acubed and seek for cost optimization in projects and overheads to maximize value creation and return for Airbus and provide recommendations for changes.
Finance Team (Transactional Accounting & Operational Treasury):
- Supervises a team of Procurement Analyst and Finance Manager performing Accounts Payable, and General Accounting operations, ensuring standard operating procedures (SOPs) are followed and internal controls are applied in accordance with Airbus accounting standards and audit expectations
- Ensure coverage and coordination on the team
- Ensure new vendors are set up in compliance with Airbus policies and procedures
- Manage the A/P, A/R, and invoice reconciliation with Airbus Americas
- Ensures timely, accurate and complete supplier payments are made in strict adherence to payment due dates
Financial Compliance, ERM & Governance:
- Partner with Airbus Americas Controlling, Accounting and Financial Systems departments to ensure that a robust cost accounting model is in place within enterprise financial systems.
- Coordinate with the Engineering and Technology finance team at Airbus SAS (Europe) on funding, transfer pricing and service level agreements
- Ensure the Enterprise Risk Management ("ERM") process is properly applied and submit required quarterly reports.
- Ensure Supplier Due Diligence rules are applied, and coordinate to ensure all Suppliers are properly vetted prior to engagement. Ensure periodic Supplier block lists are cascaded.
- Ensure appropriate Internal Controls are in place and actively manage to ensure continuing adequacy and effectiveness. Lead the annual Internal Control Self-Assessment ("ICSA") and make quarterly updates regarding any deficiencies
- Coordinate on and compile financial materials for Acubed Board meetings, Corporate Financial Compliance Committee meetings and quarterly close reports
- A university degree (Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting or equivalent), MBA or CPA is a plus
- At least 5+ years of progressively ambitious work experience in finance or accounting
- Basic knowledge of GAAP
- Prior experience with building and managing stakeholders from multiple countries is a plus
- Incredible ethical standards
- Excellent understanding of Excel / Google Sheet skills
- Some travel in the US and to Europe
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
- Extremely organized, detailed-oriented, analytical and methodical
- Ability to analyze complex data, identify key metrics, and translate complex technical terminology and concepts into content digestible by non-technical experts
- Experience with Google Data Studio or other reporting / analysis tools
- Experience with SAP, Procurify and Concur
- Ability to adapt to new situations quickly
- Sense of urgency
- Customer support mindset and strong business acumen and partnership
- Regard for necessary process mixed with a healthy skepticism for bureaucracy
- Experience managing a team (day-to-day, hands-on)
- Previous experience in a hyper-growth or start-up environment
- Deep knowledge of financial forecasting
- Ability to with integrity, open-mindedness, passion, respect and accountability to make well-informed decisions based upon these values
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location and years of experience, the target annual salary for this position can range from $154,450 to $215,900 + target bonus + benefits (including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), and flight training).
* Note that Acubed does not offer sponsorship of employment-based nonimmigrant visa petitions for this role.